15 Reasons to Start Geocaching Today!

We found itOkay — I’m the first to admit I’m new to geocaching. I’ve gone all of five times, but each time I’ve gone I’ve found myself getting only more addicted to the thrill of the hunt.  This could be the result of some sort of psychotic episode or maybe, just maybe it could be the fact that geocaching is the outdoor activity ever.

Regardless of the reason, I strongly suggest that you try geocaching and here are 15 reasons why:

1. You use the Web - What other outdoors activity utilizes technology in such a fun way? Geocaching.com is the hub. Join up today.
  2. Gets you outdoors - Fresh air beats staring at a monitor any day.
  3. Perfect for kids and adults alike - Who doesn’t love scavenger hunts?
  4. Challenging enough to rip your hair out (if I had any) - The final scrum to find the cache is enjoyably frustrating.
  5. Community-focused - Reading the log notes from other cachers – both offline and online makes you a member of an ultra-cool community.
  6. Exercise without “Exercise” – Walking/hiking from cache to cache is a fun way to get active without actually “exercising”.
  7. Awesome bonding opportunities with the kids - Taking turns operating the GPS and sharing the adventure provides conversation completely outside of the daily norm.
  8. Doesn’t take weeks to plan - Simply load up your GPS with a couple of caches, pack up some swag and you’re ready to go. No extensive planning necessary.
  9. You get stuff - Each cache has cool stuff — especially for kids.
  10. You give stuff - If you take stuff, you have to give stuff. Travel bugs are something I’m extremely curious to try out.
  11. You can make it better - You can always add hide your own cache and see just how many time it’s found and by whom.
  12. It’s worldwide - There are over  1 million caches globally so you’re very likely to be able to find a cache wherever you are.
  13. Teaches you navigational  skills - Yes, you use a GPS but caches are found with coordinates, waypoints and enhances your sense of direction.
  14. You can do it wherever - Since there are most likely caches local to you, extensive travel isn’t necessary. I’ve found several within a mile from my house.
  15. It makes you feel like Indiana Jones -  Who doesn’t want to go hunting for hidden treasures, just like Indiana Jones? Sadly, I don’t have  a whip or cool hat and am not a university professor.

Well, that’s about it for now. I hope you give geocaching a try.  Now get off the computer and go outside!

This entry was posted in Geocaching, Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to 15 Reasons to Start Geocaching Today!

1. Debi
    Twitter:
    says:

Our first (and only) geocaching experience didn’t yield us any treasure, but we really had fun while we were at it. I think next time, I’ll invite along a more experienced guide to show us how it works.
    Debi recently posted..Fun Friday- Decorate for Halloween

2. Marc
    Twitter:
    says:

I’ve been out once or twice myself, but I haven’t taken the kids yet. Come to think of it, I’m not really sure why I haven’t? As the weather changes, I’ve been trying to think of a good, one-day, outdoor option to do with them, and I think this might just be it! The weather here has turned too cold to camp overnight, but its about perfect for day hikes, including some exploration. Well, off to research a good local hunt for this coming weekend!

3. Eric says:

Hi Debi – I do agree. Going out the first time is better with someone more experienced. I had such a luxury of going with someone who has found over 1400 caches! However, if you don’t know of anyone, I strongly suggest looking for caches that are a 1/1 rating on their scale of 1-5. This is the easiest cache to find and along with anything the more success you have initially the more likely you’ll go again.

Marc – It’s great for the kids. We only go out for a couple of hours at a time as that’s what our hectic October schedule will allow. Good hunting!

4. I used to do this at night, with just a map and a compass :) I do think that this is an awesome activity to do with the kids, though, and I am planning to get into it next year.
    Roy Scribner recently posted..Coleman Cries Uncle on Air Mattresses and Acquires Aero Products

5. This sounds like a great way to get your kids into navigation, but how many of the caches actually remain where they should be? I know the vast majority will respect the concept, but there’s always one…

6. I admit that I’ve never done that, I mean Geocaching. Usually, I prefer biking in the woods with friends and family, but Geocaching …. I’ve never done that. I don’t understand where the fun of Geocaching. Well, I don’t know because I’ve never tried before. Maybe next weekend I need to try it. Anyway thanks for your 15th reason to try Geocaching. Inflatable Hot Tub
    Marikxon@hot tub reviews recently posted..Hot Tub Cover Lifter

7. Nathan says:

Great website. I tryed Geocaching once and it was a huge project. We played a game and two groups competed to find a marker over a 20 acre area. It was a ton of work and quite a challenge.

After reading your post, I think I’ll consider this as an off season activity for my daughter and I. We ski and snowboard during the winters but this sounds like a great activity with the family during other parts of the year when the skiing and snowboarding opportunities evaporate.

Cheers!

Nathan evo.com

8. Well, I cannot agree more with this post. With the advances in technology these days kids wouldn’t want to go out anymore. They are depriving themselves with important activities and loads of Vitamin D outside! I think this Geocaching is quite interesting. And the more people involved, the merrier. Kids will not only learn how to develop their sense of directions but can also have Vitamin D and exercise. Adults, who need more of these things must try this out also. A healthy way to spend the spare times and healthy at the same time. ^.^

9. Guest says:

Nice list, I think my kids will like this. They love scavenger hunts.

10. Daniel says:

I just got a GPS and have been using it for geocaching in the blue ridge mountains in Virginia. I found my 5th cache this past weekend on the blue ridge parkway. Great way to get kids excited about the outdoors.
    Daniel recently posted..Icebreaker FREE Hat

11. Guest says:

I have 0 navigational skills so every time I do this i get lost or something, even if i plan ahead, a real disater … Maybe i’ll try again after reading your 15 reasons. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

12. Oh, I’d REALLY love to try geocaching. I’ve always loved scavenger hunts growing up. Any tips on what age a kid would find it fun? My oldest is 3.5. He LOVES hiking (requested it last weekend in fact) so imagine it’d be fun for him even if we did most of the work.
    Melissa (@adventuroo) recently posted..How to Keep Up with My Favorite Blogs- An Experiment

13. Eric says:

Sweet! I’m up to like 15 finds. The guy I went with on my first trip has found over 1400! Maybe if we combine our finds we’ll catch him some year.

14. Eric says:

Melissa – I haven’t tried it with a 3.5 year old, but I suspect he’ll love it if he loves hiking. My one suggestion would be to do all the work, but let him actually “find” it. He’ll get some sense of accomplishment and have a blast.

15. Guest says:

Great post!
    Thanks for sharing this good list.

16. Greg says:

Any reason to be outside with the family instead of in front of the TV is good these days. And now that nearly every smart phone has gps built in this available to almost anyone.

17. i think geocaching is a great activity to do, but i have not try it yet …
    rc helicopter recently posted..PICAXE With Your RC Servo

18. We love geocaching! We took a group of kids out to the near by state park and the kids were tracking a cache down and then were stumped. It lead them to a cliff with a pond below. They were confused. Then realized, looked down and saw a orange water bottle submerged in the water. We found a way down to the pond and a brave kid waded out and picked it up. It was so much fun!

19. Mike says:

Its been a while for geocaching for me, but then the weather has been cold here in Ohio. I will definitely be taking the kids out in a month or so.
    Mike recently posted..Get Latitude and Longitude From Google Maps

20. Guest says:

I have never been geocaching but it sound like such a great activity. I have a 2 yr old and 3 yr old that love being outdoors — but not sure if they are old enough for this even if we pick the “easier” caches. For those that have been already — what do you think about it for kids this young?

21. Eric says:

2 and 3 years may be a bit young. I haven’t brought my 3.5 year old out yet but will likely try this summer.